I was lucky enough to find one of the sessions only a half mile from home, at the school where I did my student teaching almost 60 years ago. My, have things changed since then. Read on:
Apple Computer is working with many schools and teachers who are part of the recent iPad invasions into classrooms and labs across the country....well, even further than that.
Most of the public nods in favor of these new tool expenditures, but some of us who've been in education awhile are concerned about these expenditures when there isn't a plan in place, nor training for staff in how to use them effectively.
A headline often seen today is: "Local School District Invests Millions in Mobile Devices!" When we read further in the article we find there is no basic plan for what to do with them, other than add another distraction from learning.
The fact is these new tools are a significant addition to enriching learning and enhancing teaching, if.... If you have a plan in place.
- What are the objectives? Are they reasonable? Do they promise what no one can deliver?
- What is the Action Plan? How do we measure progress?
- How do we adijust our plan when corrections are needed? Is it doable in the time allotted?
- How do we train staff, students and parents in the use of this new learning tool?
- How do we integrate it into the curriculum?
- How do we report our progress?
- How do we extend it to other classrooms and schools?